Joining work after a long break or a lovely vacation with friends and family is always a challenge. Especially, if someone takes a long break due to issues concerning his/her mental and personal space, then resuming a job gets all the more difficult.
However, we cannot say no to work. Rather, we cannot deny that every human being under the sun needs to earn to pay their bills at the end of the day.
No matter whether you are into custom writing services or advertising and communication, you don’t have a choice but to carry out your professional responsibilities without surrendering to any form of odd or criticality in life.
Now that you too are on the same page, take some time out to read this blog and resume work with a fresh mind and vision toward life.
Evaluate Your Present Situation
First things first, you got to evaluate your present situation. This means you need to know whether you are in the right mind and completely fit to join work. Here are some essential pointers for you to pay heed to in this matter.
- If you have recovered from an ailment, or in case there were other negativities in the form of the demise of a close one and the likes, then assess your mental and physical health first.
- Evaluate your own self and figure out whether you really want to get back to work or in case you need a couple of more days to take care of your mental health before anything else.
- In case, you were on vacation, then assess the present situation and find out whether you are physically fit to resume work.
- Is there an injury (which you might have met with during the trip)? If yes, then assess whether you are now completely fit to travel all the way to work on a regular basis.
Based on each of these evaluations, you should put a step ahead and join work with the right zeal and determination.
You May Like to Read: The Future of Dustin Poirier’s Career
Keep Your Reasons and Explanations Ready
If you were on a long break, for a period of 6-12 months, then you must keep your reasons and explanations ready as well. No progressive corporate organization would entertain an employee who fails to explain the reason behind his/her career hiatus.
Unless you succeed in coming up with proper reasons behind the long break, resuming work would turn out to be quite a hassle.
So, here are some suggestions for you to consider in this matter.
- Refrain from coming up with bluffs. Simply state the reason as it is. ‘
- For example, if you were on a break due to some personal reasons, then mention the fact clearly.
- Instead of doing so, if you end up mentioning something vague, only for the hiring manager to figure out later that you were bluffing, then things would simply turn worse.
- Also, you must choose to be confident as you talk about the reasons for taking a break from work.
Keep Leveraging the Potential of Your Networking Skills
This is something absolutely important. Make sure you have good networking skills. Now, make it a point to leverage its potential to the fullest.
- Even while you are on a break, try to keep an eye on the ongoing job trends.
- Stay in constant touch with your industry peers and request them to keep notifying you about the latest job openings in your city or anywhere else.
- Once you would decide on joining the workforce, get in touch with one of the influential members of your clan, and ask him/her to refer your name and resume to the concerned organisation.
- Also, you should keep upgrading your professional skills from time to time, so that you can cope with the ongoing job trends easily.
Be Dynamic and Open to New Opportunities
Unless you choose to be dynamic and flexible in the matter of embracing new opportunities in the profession, resuming the workforce after a break would really be difficult.
A lot of things change over time, especially in the professional domain. So, you have to be flexible and open when it comes to being a bit experimental in certain cases.
Here are some suggestions that might come into play in this context.
- If you are in need of a job, then do not end up refusing an offer just because it didn’t suit your timings or the comfort zone you are currently in.
- Train your mind accordingly and be open to newer and more lucrative opportunities.
- If you have a job offer in your mail, then at least make an effort to open the mail and read through it instead of simply deleting it based on a preconceived opinion.
- Even if a particular job does not fall under your niche, make it a point to analyse it before discarding it.
- See whether the job is actually difficult for you to consider, along with considering other aspects such as future prospects, pay packages, employee facilities, and the like.
Sharpen Your Skills from Time to Time
There’s no point sitting back at home and enjoying a long break, instead of involving in something productive.
If you are on a break, then make sure to learn something productive and sharpen your professional skills meanwhile. Here are some nice ideas on the skill sets you can work on, while at home, on a break.
- Sharpen your knowledge-acquiring skills by reading through the latest industry blogs and journals.
- Work on your organisational skills and learn how to manage a large number of files and follow them up in a uniform manner.
- Also, you can get your resume restructured and updated by a cheap assignment help/CV writing help firm to go easy on your pocket.
- Sign up for a couple of online certification courses and update your resume by stating your achievements accordingly.
- You can also learn a few new languages and enrich your linguistic skills. It will allow you to showcase your talent in the form of extracurricular activities or skills you have honed while on a break.
Do Not Mess Up Your Daily Schedules
Remaining on a break does not mean you would wake up late and stay awake late at night. Your vacation should not ruin your daily work schedule. Here are some useful tips on being disciplined n the matter of maintaining a healthy and organised schedule.
- Make it a point to wake up early and start your day on a positive note.
- While at home, on a break, do not just sit back and do nothing.
- Instead, try engaging yourself in being a part of productive activities from time to time.
- Also, make sure to exercise on a regular basis and train your mind for any form of potential adversity.
Gear Up for Interviews and Professional Meet-Ups
Sooner or later, you need to appear for interviews and crack them in order to resume your career and get back on track.
So, it is always a nice idea to keep preparing for interviews and embrace all practices that would allow you to carry out all forms of professional meetings in person and over the phone, with precision.
Take note of the following ideas and nail the game like a boss.
- Get hold of the latest interview patterns that are presently being followed in your professional domain.
- Start looking for dummy interview questions online and frame your answers or strategize accordingly to go about the final round like a pro.
- Even though you were on a long break, do not lose confidence by any means. Learn to stay confident and approach and answer every interview question.
Sign Up for Rewarding Career Return Programs
This is one useful way to make a comeback and put your career path in the right direction. These days, there are ample career return programs and career counselling services available online.
So, you can always sign up for a couple of reliable platforms and train your mind accordingly to make the right decisions, prior to joining work.
Here are some helpful suggestions that would come into play in this context.
- You can always sign up for the Return to Work program before joining work.
- This prestigious concern is said to track the continuing growth of corporate career re-entry programs on a global scale.
- Also, you can consider “Barclays Encore Programmes” if you wish to return to work with a bang.
There is more such reputable “return to work” programs available these days. You can simply read through each of the session specifications, choose the one that suits your professional niche, and get started with your career in the best possible way.
Do Not Just Go with the Flow; Know Your Potential
You might observe a lot of things have changed since the day you took a break from work. The chances are that you might spot a huge shift in job trends.
But, it is advised to refrain from going with the flow, just because you need to return to work. Remember your real potential and the purposes you were meant to serve on the job front.
So, even if you spot a particular profession or career opportunity which is currently in demand, always ask these questions to yourself before signing up for it.
- Am I meant for this profession? Do I have an inclination toward the concerned industry?
- So, even if you spot a particular profession or career opportunity currently in demand, always ask yourself before signing up for it.
- What could possibly be the future prospects of the job which is currently trending?
Unless you are successful in coming up with concrete answers to each of the questions mentioned above, do not just sign up for trending jobs blindly.
Get Updated about Your Profession and Its Industry
As already mentioned, job trends are ever-changing. Things might not be the same two years down the line. So, in order to avoid the adversity of being exposed to a sudden shift in industry trends, embrace these measures, and never look back.
- Invest your time to explore the latest developments in your industry.
- Talk to your peers or try to stay updated with the latest employment journals.
- Try and figure out the present salary packages being offered in your domain of employment.
To End With
Now that you are aware of all the essential points that would help you prepare for and resume the workforce after a long break, embrace the best practice.
After all, livelihood is not a choice, it is, at the end of the day, the way of life. So, one must always give their best and prepare for the worst with confidence and courage.