Thursday, May 23, 2024
HomeTaxHow to Get More Money Back from your Tax Return

How to Get More Money Back from your Tax Return

Are you confident about maximizing your income tax situation? Here in this article, we will discuss how you can get more money back from your tax return.

Childcare Expenses

There are the daycare expenses that you have paid the whole year. When you hire a live-in childcare provider then you can qualify for it. Also, if your children attend any day camps then those expenses also qualify for the deduction.

Deduct Spousal/Child Support Payments

If you have any former spouse or child then payments to support them also qualify for tax deduction.

Deduct Student Loan Interest

If you have got any student loans then you can ask for a deduction on the interest charged on the student loan. You have to remember that only interest on the original student loan will qualify.

Deduct Property Taxes (Owners) or Rental Payments (Tenants)

Home owners can deduct their property taxes based on their province of residence and it is also affected their income. Also, tenants can deduct their rent payments.

You May Read: Freelancers and Taxes

Deduct Professional and/or Union Dues

You can lower your taxable income by showing your professional association fees and union fees.

Deduct Employment Expenses

If your employees ask you to pay for the work material then these expenses are tax-deductible. For example, if you are a teacher and purchase supplies for your classroom then these expenses qualify for a tax deduction.

Deduct Education/Tuition Expenses

Post-secondary tuition costs can be deducted by either the student or a relation of the student.

Deduct Moving Expenses

If you have moved to get at least 40km closer to your workplace, new company, or post-secondary school, you can claim your expenses from that transfer.

Deduct Medical and Charitable Expenses

You can obtain a partial deduction for some medical expenses and charitable donations.

Apply for the First-Time Home Buyers’ (FTHB) tax credit

If you are a first-time home owner within the past 4 years then you qualify to claim $5000 tax credit. You apply the lowest federal income tax rate against that $5,000. Recently, the lowest tax rate has been 15%. At 15%, your rebate is a cool $750.

Apply for GST/HST New Housing Tax Rebate

If you have purchased a newly built home or have made major renovations to a home that is your (or a relationship) primary residence, you might be eligible for a GST/HST tax refund that has already been paid. There is a similar clause, under some circumstances, for landlords.

Apply for Various Provincial Credits

In reference to federal and provincial GST/HST credits, some states provide extra credits for some sections of the population. These include survival rehabilitation of seniors’ homes in New Brunswick and climate change incentives to reduce carbon taxes in provinces such as Saskatchewan, Ontario, and others.

There are several more credits, particularly for seniors, such as Ontario Transit Pass credit, so check out your province’s website.

Apply for the Disability Tax Credit

If you or anyone in your family suffers from any illness or accident, then you can qualify for the disability tax credit. To claim this you have to hire a medical practitioner to prove the disability statement.

Although the tax deduction amount varies by province, once you qualify for it, it can open the door to other benefits too.

You May Read: Guide to Taxability of Trust in India

More from MoneyVisual

Recent Posts

Most Popular

Educational Topics