Before starting the creation of webtoon art, a person needs to be fully aware of the two most important things that can either make or break his success as a Webtoon artist. These two tools are – good devices (tablet, smartphone, or PC) and good art-creation apps/software.
In this article, we will read about the second thing, which is webtoon apps/software. Learn about what is webtoons and webtoons apps/software here. Let’s find out what software webtoon artists use.
What is the Best Webtoon App/Software?
There are various types of webtoon apps available in the market for the creation of comics and animations. Some might be free, some might be budget-friendly while the others may be costly. The number and quality of features that they provide also vary from software to software.
Therefore, in order to choose the best webtoon drawing app/software for yourself, you should be well aware of the features it provides you and other specifications such as its price, compatibility, etc.
Now, we will read about some of the famous webtoon apps/programs that are used by Webtoon artists, so that you can make a choice for yourself.
Top 6 Webtoon Apps or Software
1. Corel Painter
This webtoon app/software is one of the top choices of webtoon artists as it is a raster-based digital art software that lets you create webtoons with perfect accuracy. Below are some of the major features of Corel Painter.
- It comes with a high versatility of brushes and allows the users to take control of the complete customization of their artwork. It has a smooth stroke feature that lets you relate to the traditional methods of drawing on paper.
- It is compatible to use with macOS and Windows OS. However, it comes with a version for the phone as well, with the name Painter Mobile.
- It comes with an independent color selector, which helps you select colors in match or contrast with other colors.
- It has a free as well as a paid version, however, the paid version comes with more features and brushes. Its paid annual subscription costs $199 whereas if you consider a one-time payment, it costs $424.
2. Clip Studio Paint
No one can deny that Clip Studio Paint is a perfect tool for webtoon artists. Specialized UI that you can customize as per your preference gives you the freedom to work on the project the way you want. Below are the major features of Clip Studio Paint.
- It is one of the most famous software used for the creation of comics, animations, illustrations, etc for professional purposes. It can be used by both beginners as well as professionals because of its easy user interface.
- It comes with a wide variety of tools and brushes which makes it a great choice for artists. It comes with versions for iOS, Android, Windows OS, macOS as well as Chromebook.
- It is used widely for the creation of illustrations and especially manga art. It is quite famous in the animation industry and is used for making cartoons especially 2D comics. It is also used in schools for teaching children comic, animation, or illustration courses.
- Especially in the case of webtoons, it is a great webtoon creator app that is most widely used because of its webtoon canvas settings feature which focuses on the creation of webtoons. It also has a feature that allows the user to combine the creations and convert them into a video.
- It comes in two famous versions Clip Studio Paint Pro and Ex, out of which Pro is the cheaper version. Its version for mobile starts from $4.49 and the PC version starts from $49.99 as a one-time payment. With CSP sales, you can get this best webtoon app/software at a negligible price.
This is one of the most advanced mobile software that one can use on their phone to create cartoons. Check out below the major features of Procreate.
- It is a good app for Webtoon creators who use their iPads to create Webtoon comics. It is widely used by iPad users.
- It has a smooth and easy user interface that makes drawing and using this app easier for you, even if you are new to it.
- It comes with various customization tools such as Brush customization, clipping masks, text tools, perspective rulers, and animations. It also comes with an in-built tutorial in the form of videos.
- It is made solely for the purpose of using the iPad. The iPhone has a similar webtoon drawing app with fewer features the name Procreate Pocket.
- You can get it for $9.99, and it does not provide a free trial.
4. Photoshop CC
This Adobe product is one of the most widely used software around the globe. It has been updating itself to keep the crown on its head as one of the best digital art software. Have a look at the major features of Adobe Photoshop CC.
- It is one of the most famous software widely used by professional artists, photographers, designers, and cartoonists all over the world. It is also used for creating comics and illustrations because of its features that allow artists to easily manipulate colors, create layer masks, and scribble away.
- It comes with a wide range of brushes with different types of strokes suitable for all types of drawings. It also supports third-party brushes.
- It gives a free 7-day trial to its users and later. To use Photoshop, you have to subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photography plan, which costs $9.99 per month.
However, we would recommend you be aware of Adobe Photoshop’s pros and cons which will make you more confident before choosing this software for your professional purposes.
5. Adobe Fresco
Another Adobe product and Photoshop’s sibling software is available for Windows as well as Mac. It comes with an in-built collection of brushes and other unique features. Below are some of the main highlights of Adobe Fresco.
- It is a painting software with the name Adobe attached to it, and thus, is a very effective and widely used software, especially for the creation of Webtoon comics.
- It can be used on devices with pens. It has a special feature that combines the effects of watercolor as well as oil pastels, to add life to your drawings. You can use raster brushes as well as vector brushes on the same canvas in Adobe Fresco.
- People who are subscribers of Adobe Creative Cloud can get it for free. While the others have to pay an amount of $9.99 per month to use it.
6. Paint Tool SAI
This lightweight and high-quality software Fully supports digitizers and offers stable and easy project operation. Below are some of the major highlights of Paint Tool SAI.
- It is basic and easy-to-use software that is best for beginners. Using it does not require any professional expertise as you can easily draw webtoon comics and illustrations on it.
- It comes with a lesser number of features as compared to other applications, yet it gives you a great feel while drawing because it is stable software.
- It does not support CMYK output, and the users are required to have basic knowledge of Windows OS in order to use it. It only works on Windows OS.
- It gives a free trial of 31 days to its customers.
You May Like to Read: How to Promote Your Artwork Through Social Media?
Q1. What is a webtoon?
It is a kind of digital comic, the webtoon is designed to be read on a computer device or mobile device. It originated in South Korea in the middle of 1990.
Q2.What webtoon app/software do webtoon artists use?
There are many webtoon apps/software that webtoon artists use. Here are some of the most popular apps webtoon artists use. i.e. Corel Painter, Clip Studio Paint, Procreate, Photoshop CC, Adobe Fresco, Paint Tool SAI, etc.
Q3. What is a webtoon canvas?
Webtoon canvas is something the webtoon artist uses to design the scenes. The standard size of a webtoon canvas is 800x1280px which helps the artist to create atmosphere and the storyline.